· Aldi extend pet food range to include new premium hypoallergenic dog food
· Only retailer to use ‘at home’ pet food testing
· New packaging designs for Premium and Standard Vitacat Pouch Selections
With an estimated 12 million (46% of) households in the UK with pets, discount supermarket Aldi is responding to the needs of the growing population of moggies and mutts with new launches to add to its range of pet food.
Aldi will be launching Langham’s Complete Dry Dog Food, an advanced nutrition hypoallergenic premium dog food typically only stocked in pet specialists, in stores across the UK from July. The new launch will be priced at just £2.99 for 2kg presenting a huge 60 per cent saving when compared to the leading brand, Wainwrights*.
Containing protein-rich turkey (known to be easier to digest and thus reducing the risks of sensitivities) and rice and whole grain barley (to provide dogs with a balanced diet), Aldi’s own-label new launch has been independently tested - along with all of Aldi’s pet food range - for performance and palatability through Leatherhead Food Research.
Aldi’s bespoke ‘at home’ palatability testing sets them apart from other retailers who conduct their testing with animals confined in kennels and catteries. Aldi has chosen to carry out research with cats and dogs at home; in surroundings in which they are familiar and comfortable. Only products that are given the seal of approval by pets are put into the range reassuring pet owners and pets that only the best makes it through.
With the cost of veterinary treatment rising by approximately 12% a year**, Aldi is also offering customers Earls Dental Sticks (59p for 180g), ensuring that nutritional necessities are available at great value across the country for man’s best friend.
Tony Baines, Joint Managing Director of Corporate Buying at Aldi, said: “Our enhanced pet food range offers our customers products that are great quality, nutritionally balanced and exceptional value for money.
“We remain committed to keeping abreast of the changing needs of pets with products such as Langham’s Complete Dry Dog Food, which pet owners can pick up as part of their weekly shop at Aldi and do not have to pay specialist prices for.”
In January this year, Aldi - the UK’s fourth biggest retailer of sustainable seafood - became the first UK retailer to offer MSC certified cat food. Aldi’s Gourmet Choice range comprising Vitacat Gourmet Supreme and Vitacat Gourmet Choice contains fish that has been sustainably sourced by well-managed fisheries. Following the success of the range, Vitacat Premium Cat Pouches have been launched. Available for just £1.99 for 12 pouches, the new products feature a brand new, easy to dispense pouch.
Aldi’s expert vet, Marc Abraham said: “The well-being and nutrition of pets is fundamental and Aldi provides this with its diverse and expanding pet care range. Whether your cats and dogs have special dietary requirements or simply deserve a treat, there is something for all.”
For more information, please visit www.aldi.co.uk.
*Wainwrights Complete Turkey and Rice, £7.99 for 2kg (Mysupermarket.com)
· Langham’s Complete Dry Dog Food – £2.99, 2kg (69142)
· Earls Dental Sticks – 59p, 180g (available in Standard or Minty)
· Vitacat Standard Pouch Multipacks – £1.75, 12 x 100g (available in Fish Selection in Jelly, Mixed Selection in Jelly, Gravy or Senior)
· Vitacat Premium Pouch Multipacks – £1.99, 12 x 85g (available in Gravy or Jelly selection)
· Vitacat Select Gourmet Choice – 99p, 6 x 50g (available in Poultry Selection in Gravy or Fish Selection in Jelly)
· Vitacat Select Gourmet Supreme – 21p, 100g (available in Chicken Terrine, Rabbit Terrine, Tuna MSC Terrine or Salmon MSC Terrine)
View our 'Notes to Editor'