- ‘Supermarket Own Brand Spirits Range of the Year’ is awarded five medals by whisky experts
- Aldi’s Glen Marnoch Speyside Single Malt beat rivals more than double its price
- Range praised alongside well-known brands Johnnie Walker and Ballantine’s
- Results come at a time when whisky is as popular as gin to drink at home
(31st July 2017) Five of discount supermarket Aldi’s own label whiskies have been praised by industry experts, and awarded top medals at the renowned Spirits Business Scotch Whisky Masters - beating off competition from bottles costing more than double the price.
Aldi’s Smooth, rich vanilla and toffee flavours
Glen Marnoch Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky (£17.49)Smooth, rich vanilla and toffee flavours
Smooth, rich vanilla and toffee flavours
was a firm favourite amongst judges, who awarded it a coveted gold medal, making it victorious over silver medallist The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve which sells for more than double the price at £37.45. Consumer favourite Highland Black 8-Year-old Whisky (£12.99) was also awarded a silver medal proving that great quality spirits don’t have to cost the earth.
Whisky has seen a boom in 2017, with more than a fifth of Brits enjoying the drink regularly. The tipple is on a par with gin in terms of popularity for home-drinkers, with 12% opting to drink whisky at home over other spirits.
Tony Baines, Joint Managing Director of Corporate Buying at Aldi comments: “Receiving five medals for our range is a fantastic achievement. Whisky has gone through a resurgence in popularity recently and it just goes to show that whisky lovers can enjoy great value products, which have been given the nod of approval by industry experts, without compromising on quality at Aldi.”
This coveted award for Aldi adds to the retailer’s incredibly successful 2017 to date. The retailer’s beers, wines, and spirits have now been awarded a whopping 158 medals in total and was recently crowned Drinks Retailer of the Year at The Drinks Business awards in June, as well as being judged Supermarket Own Brand Spirits Range of the Year at the International Spirits Challenge in July.
The full list of Aldi’s award-winning whiskies is as follows:
- Glen Marnoch Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Gold)
- Glen Marnoch Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Gold)
- Glen Marnoch Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Silver)
- Highland Black 8yr old Whisky (Silver)
- Highland Earl Scotch Whisky (Silver)
 WSTA Annual Spirits Report 2016 – 12% of British adults opt to drink whisky at home, with 12% choosing to drink gin at home
 The Whisky Exchange, price sourced 19/07/17 (www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/28323/glenlivet-founders-reserve)
 WSTA Annual Spirits Report 2016 – 21% of British adult drink whisky
View our 'Notes to Editor'