· Retailer’s port range takes home Gold, Silver & Bronze medals at prestigious wine competition
· Over 50 Aldi bottles are named amongst the best wines in the world
· Aldi now sells 20% of the world’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port
(Thursday 30th November 2017, UK) Discount supermarket Aldi has excelled at an international competition, taking home over 50 medals in total for its wine range. Often referred to as the ‘Oscars’ of the wine world, the International Wine Challenge pits the very best wines from around the world against each other in a series of rigorous blind taste tests.
Aldi’s Maynard’s 1992 Late Bottled Vintage Port (£19.99), a full bodied port with flavours of blackberry, blackcurrant and cherry was awarded the top gong by industry experts. The smooth and velvety tipple was closely followed by its 40 and 10-year-old Tawny Port counterparts, which took home Silver medals. This isn’t the first time the experts have praised Maynard’s 10 Year Old Tawny Port (£9.99), the multi-award winner also took home Gold at this year’s prestigious Decanter Wine Awards.
Aldi’s range of ports were commended for their fantastic quality and incredible value for money. Four bottles in total were awarded medals, from the 2013 Maynard’s Late Bottled Vintage Port that retails at just £9.99 to a premium Maynard’s 40-Year-Old Tawny Port (£29.99), making the retailer a one stop shop for port this Christmas.
The timely announcement for Aldi’s latest medal haul comes in the same week that the budget retailer has revealed that it sells 20% of the world’s 40-Year-Old-Tawny port. With 24 accolades for its port and sweet wine range this year alone, it is no surprise that shoppers are flocking to Aldi to get their favourite fortified tipples.
Aldi’s Chateau de Myrat Sauternes Grand Cru Classe (£11.99) dessert wine also took home a Gold medal, being praised for its flavours of ginger, orange peel and apricot and mango notes.
Julie Ashfield, Joint Managing Director of Corporate Buying at Aldi UK, said “We are absolutely delighted with the results of the International Wine Challenge - winning over 50 medals at such a prestigious competition is a real testament to the quality of our wine range.
“This year we have seen an increased demand for drinks such as port and sherry – drinks often associated with an older generation which are now enjoying a revival. Barão de Vilar; our longstanding port supplier has been working closely with our UK buying team for years, producing some of the world’s best ports exclusively for our shoppers at unbeatable prices.”
Aldi has had an extremely successful 2017, having won three wine retailer titles including Multiple Wine Retailer of the Year at the Drinks Retailing Awards, Retailer of the Year at the Drinks Business Awards and Drinks Retailer of the Year at the Quality Drink Awards along with over 200 medals for its drinks range in total.
The full list of award winning Aldi wines at this year’s International Wine Challenge (Tranche One) is as follows:
Chateau de Myrat Sauternes Grand Cru Classe 2013
Maynard's Late Bottled Vintage Port 1992
De Bortoli Sumptuously Rich Pudding Wine
Exquisite Collection Cremant Du Jura 2014
Greco Di Tufo 2016
Recioto Di Soave 2015
Redwood Hills Single Vineyard Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Maynard’s 10 Year Old Tawny Port
Maynard’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port
Exquisite Collection Cream Sherry
Finca La Pampa Barrel Selected Pinot Noir 2016
Exquisite Collection Clare Valley Riesling 2017
Exquisite Collection Clare Valley Riesling 2016
Veuve Monsigny Blanc de Blancs Vintage Brut 2006
Cairanne Domaine de la Belle Estelle 2016
Te Rakau Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
Exquisite Collection New Zealand Pinot Noir 2015
Exquisite Collection Ribera del Duero 2016
Berton Vineyards Botrytis Semillon 2016
Exquisite Collection Leyda Sauvignon Blanc 2016
Astelia Pezenas 2016
Venturer Costieres de Nimes 2016
Vignobles Roussellet Pinot Noir
Zom Douro Reserva 2015
Maynard's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2013
Stellenbosch Cabernet Merlot 2016
Exquisite Collection Amontillado Sherry
Baron Amarillo Rioja Reserva 2013
Meadowhawk Cellars Old Vines Zinfandel 2015
Exquisite Collection Argentinian Malbec 2016
Iron Horse Shiraz 2016
Veuve Monsigny Rosé Brut
Toro Loco Reserva Utiel Requena 2013
The Forgotten One Entre Deux Mers 2016
Astelia Limoux 2016
Exquisite Collection Plan de Dieu Chateau La Diffre 2015
Gavi Di Gavi 2016
Organic Prosecco 2016
Exquisite Collection Valpolicella Ripasso 2014
Freeman's Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Leaf Plucker Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Exquisite Collection Fino Sherry
Don Tomas Argentinian Malbec 2016
Exquisite Collection Limestone Coast Chardonnay 2016
Exquisite Collection Australian Shiraz 2016
Exquisite Collection Chilean Sauvignon Blanc 2017
Exquisite Collection Fleurie 2016
Veuve Monsigny Vintage Brut 2003
Cotes du Rhone Villages 2016
Freemans Bay Pinot Gris 2017
Te Rakau Chardonnay 2016
Makaraka Sauvignon Blanc 2016
Animus Douro 2016
For further information, images or to request a sample, please contact the Aldi BWS team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
020 7479 0910
Please contact the Aldi team at Clarion to confirm product details and availability prior to print.
Notes to editors:
Aldi is the UK’s fifth largest supermarket with over 700 stores and over 29,000 employees.
The company has more than doubled its market share since 2010. In the 12 weeks ended 05/11/2017, Aldi grew sales by 13.1% and has a 6.7% share of the market (Kantar Worldpanel data).
Aldi is attracting hundreds of thousands of new customers every year with its award-winning range of exclusive brands, passing low operating costs on to customers in the form of low prices.
In 2017 Aldi will open over 70 stores. By 2022, Aldi will operate over 1,000 stores.
The company’s current achievements and initiatives include:
· Aldi currently offers employees the highest starting pay in the sector – at least £8.53 an hour to all employees and more to those in London. This is significantly higher than the Government’s National Living Wage.
· Aldi’s investment in people was recognised at the Grocer Gold Awards, which celebrate outstanding achievement and practice across the grocery sector – Aldi was crowned ‘Employer of the Year’ 2017.
· Aldi has launched a five year partnership with the Teenage Cancer Trust – its fundraising target of £5m will go towards helping the trust to reach out to every young person with cancer in the UK.
· Aldi was named Fresh Produce Supermarket of the Year at the FPC Fresh Awards 2017 and Supermarket of the Year at the 2016 Retail Industry Awards.
· Aldi is the highest ranked supermarket in the Institute of Customer Services’ UK Customer Satisfaction Index 2017.
· Aldi launched its eCommerce platform in January 2016, selling a range of high quality wines and Specialbuys – receiving approximately over 11,000 orders per week.
· Aldi is the official supermarket partner of Team GB, and has extended this commitment to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
· Aldi is the lowest priced supermarket in the UK and 15.2% cheaper than its nearest competitor (The Grocer 33, published 24th August 2017).
· In 2017, for the fourth consecutive year Aldi was ranked the best-performing supermarket for compliance with the Groceries Supply Code of Practice, underlining its commitment to maintaining fair, predictable and sustainable prices within its supply chain.
· Recent research from the Centre for economics and business research (Cebr) showed that the value of Aldi’s relationships with UK suppliers will increase by £2.2bn during the next five years to £6.7bn in 2022. Additionally, in 2016 Aldi supported 146,000 direct and indirect jobs in the UK and this figure is set to rise to 205,000 by 2022.
Full details of Aldi’s awards and achievements are detailed at https://www.aldi.co.uk/awards
 Instituto Vinhos do Douroe Porto (IVDP) 30/11/17
View our 'Notes to Editor'