Aldi prove they offer taste AND value when it comes to their strawberries this Wimbledon
Did you know that last year’s Wimbledon Champions, Roger Federer and Garbine Muguruza, burned a whopping 1,100 calories between them per hour?1 Playing for a total of 22 hours2,3 across the tournament that’s 24,200 calories burnt in total.
Can you even imagine how many strawberries the Wimbledon champions would need to eat to fuel that – and at what cost? Fortunately, supermarket Aldi have done the maths so you don’t have to!
With the average strawberry containing just 2 calories,4 Roger Federer and Garbine Muguruza would have needed a whopping 12,100 strawberries to power their way through the championship. That’s a lot of strawberries and at Wimbledon prices, (£2.50 for a serving of 10)5 that’s a lot of money too! In fact, it would cost £3,025 to pay for that many strawberries at Wimbledon.6
However, tennis fans will be relieved to discover that Aldi offers fresh British strawberries at just £1.69 for a 400g pack. Meaning our Champions could spend as little as £818 on strawberries to fuel their winning ‘jam slam’!7
Julie Ashfield, Managing Director of Buying, says: “Wimbledon and strawberries go hand-in-hand, and the tournament is a great occasion to enjoy the best British fruit of the season. There’s no denying that Aldi’s fresh British strawberries, pack more than just a punch in the taste department, they are amazing value and quality too. Now that, is something to cheer about.”
For more information, please contact the Aldi Consumer Press Office on:
T: 020 7025 6611 or E: email@example.com or visit www.aldi.co.uk
- Calculated on average 600 calories burned per hour for male weighing 85kg and 500 calories burned per hour for female weighing 73kg; source Harvard Health Publishing
- Federer 2017 Wimbledon stats: http://2016.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpf324.html
- Muguruza 2017 Wimbledon stats: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta316239.html
- Calories per strawberry: https://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-fruits-strawberries-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzNjMy.html
- Cost of strawberries at Wimbledon: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/06/wimbledon-strawberries-revealed-have-subsidised-keep-price-last/
- 12,100 / 10 x £2.50 = £3025
- 12,100 / 25 x £1.69 = £817.96
View our 'Notes to Editor'