With the cherry season under way, supermarket Aldi is celebrating with a range of dazzling menu ideas to coincide with National Cherry Day on 16th July.
Demand for cherries has grown in recent years, with the fruit being named as the fastest growing sub-category in the stone fruit market last year,[i] and at just £1.19 for 200g, Aldi customers can enjoy this delicious summer fruit without the premium price tag.
Why not pick up a punnet in store and put the cherry on top of your day with our selection of delicious recipes?
BLACKBERRY AND CHERRY HARVEST CRUMBLE
- 200g pack cherries
- 150g pack blackberries
- 1 x 270g jar apple sauce
- 80g butter at room temperature
- 30g ground almonds
- 60g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 40g oats
- 1 x heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6
- Stone the cherries and cut in half
- Put into an ovenproof shallow dish along with the blackberries and apple sauce and mix together
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, almonds, oats, ginger and sugar
- Cut the butter into bits and add to the mixture and rub in with your fingers
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit
- Bake in the oven for 20/25 mins – till the top is golden brown
- Serve with cream, custard or vanilla ice cream
CHERRY AND ALMOND CAKES
- 125g Creamy Butter Unsalted
- 175g Greek Style Yogurt
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 1 Large Egg
- 200g Cherries - pitted and halved
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a pan melt the butter. Once melted mix with the rest of the ingredients and beat well.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden and risen.
- 20ml Brandy
- 10ml cherry juice from four season frozen cherries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 175 ml Valdobbiadene Prosecco Spumante DOCG
- Garnish with several Four season frozen cherries on a cocktail stick.
- Add the Napoleon Brandy, cherry juice, vanilla pod and sugar to a glass and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Top with Valdobbiadene Prosecco Spumante DOCG.
- Finally, garnish with cherries.
For more information, please contact the Aldi Consumer Press Office on: T: 020 7025 6611 or E: email@example.com.
[i] 28% YOY value growth, 12 w/e 18 June 2017, fruit - cherry data, Kantar Worldpanel
View our 'Notes to Editor'