- Aldi set to sell half a million bottles of Port this year, as the tipple’s popularity soars
- Supermarket launches its first ever White Port – a trendy alternative to G&T when mixed with tonic
Shredding its reputation as an old-fashioned drink, the tipple has seen a resurgence in recent times, emerging as the UK’s fastest-growing fortified drink, compared to dwindling sherry sales – which have halved, from 22 million bottles 12 years ago to 10 million. This year, the Institute of Douro Wine (IVDP) declared that exports to the UK were up 5.65% compared with 2010.
Aldi saw port sales increase by 85% YOY in 2017 and anticipates to beat these record sales this year as shoppers stock up for the Christmas season. As a result, the retailer has expanded its award-winning port range by 250%*.
Aldi will also be stocking a White Port (£7.99) for the first time ever this season. Heralded as a twist on the classic G&T when mixed with tonic, the golden wine has taken the UK by storm with sales up by 70% this year alone. The tipple has proved particularly popular amongst health-conscious millennial drinkers, as it has an ABV of around 20% compared to 40% for gin.
Other bottles in Aldi’s range include Maynard's 30 Year Old Tawny Port (£34.99) and Maynard's 2014 LBV Port (£9.99), which recently won coveted Gold medals at the International Wine Challenge.
Aldi’s wine expert, Sam Caporn Mistress of Wine, comments: “Port is definitely seeing a comeback, thanks to its versatility – from fresh white styles that work with tonic, to the more traditional LBV and Tawny varieties. Aldi’s award-winning range has something for everyone this Christmas, and at such amazing value prices – I’ll certainly be stocking up!”
Julie Ashfield, Managing Director of Buying at Aldi UK, adds: “Our award-winning Maynard’s range is made exclusively for Aldi by longstanding suppliers Barao de Vilar, who make some of the world’s best port. Our UK buying team’s close working relationship with these renowned winemakers is integral to bringing such quality bottles to our store shelves, at unbeatable prices.”
How to make the perfect White Port & Tonic, according to Sam Caporn MW, Aldi’s Wine Expert:
- Fill a tall tumbler with plenty of ice
- Add 1-part White Port to 2 parts tonic
- Gently stir
- Garnish with lemon or lime – or a spring of mint, for a little twist
* Aldi’s core port range:
- Fletcher’s Ruby Port (£6.39)
- Maynard’s White Port (£7.99)
- Maynard’s Pink Port (£7.99)
- Maynard’s Ruby Reserve Port (£4.99)
- Maynard’s LBV Port (£9.99)
- Maynard’s 10-Year-Old Tawny Port (£10.99)
- Maynard’s 30-Year-Old Tawny Port (£34.99)
- Maynard’s Premium Port Selection (£34.99)
View our 'Notes to Editor'