Notes to Editors
Aldi is the UK’s fifth largest and fastest-growing supermarket with over 825 stores and 34,000 employees.
The company has more than doubled its market share since 2010. In the 12 weeks to 24th February 2019, Aldi grew sales by 10% and has a 7.6% share of the market (Kantar Worldpanel data).
In 2019, Aldi is opening 65 new stores and by 2025 will operate over 1,200 stores.
Aldi is attracting hundreds of thousands of new customers every year with its range of exclusive brands, passing low operating costs on to customers in the form of low prices.
The supermarket believe in making every day amazing and that’s why every single day Aldi delivers on the best possible value for millions of families throughout the UK and Ireland across everything from award-winning fresh produce to world class gin.
Aldi won’t be beaten on price; consistently racks up award after award for quality; treats its suppliers with fairness and respect and recognises the responsibility of supporting valued institutions such as Team GB to demonstrate the importance of health and wellness. That’s Aldi. That’s everyday amazing. The reason they do this? Because Aldi believes that everyone should have access to fresh, healthy, affordable food…it’s a right, not a privilege.
The company’s current achievements and initiatives include:
- - Aldi was crowned ‘Grocer of the Year’ 2018 at the Grocer Gold Awards.
- - Aldi has a five-year partnership with Teenage Cancer Trust – its fundraising target of £5m will go towards helping the trust to reach out to every young person with cancer in the UK.
- - Aldi’s rates of pay are significantly higher than the Government’s National Living Wage and also above the Living Wage Foundation’s recommended national rates. Store Assistants receive a minimum hourly rate of £9.10 nationally and £10.55 in London.
- - Aldi is the official supermarket partner of Team GB and ensures every member of the team has access to fresh healthy Aldi food via monthly shopping vouchers, and that 1.2 million 5-14 year olds will learn about the benefits of cooking fresh, healthy food via its Get Set to Eat Fresh education initiative. Aldi has been a partner since 2015 and has extended its commitment to the 2024 Olympic games in Paris.
- - In 2018, for the fifth consecutive year Aldi was ranked the best-performing supermarket for compliance with the Groceries Supply Code of Practice, underlining its commitment to maintaining fair, predictable and sustainable prices within its supply chain.
Full details of Aldi’s awards and achievements are detailed at https://www.aldi.co.uk/awards