Notes to Editor
Aldi is attracting hundreds of thousands of new customers every year with its award-winning range of exclusive brands
Aldi is the UK’s fastest growing and fifth largest supermarket with over 700 stores and over 29,000 employees.
The company has more than doubled its market share since 2010. In the 12 weeks ended 21/05/2017, Aldi grew sales by 19.8% and has a 7% share of the market (Kantar Worldpanel data).
Aldi is attracting hundreds of thousands of new customers every year with its award-winning range of exclusive brands, passing low operating costs on to customers in the form of low prices.
In 2017 Aldi will open around 70 stores. By 2022, Aldi will operate over 1,000 stores.
The company’s current achievements and initiatives include:
- Aldi offers employees the highest starting pay in the sector – at least £8.53 an hour to all employees and more to those in London. This is significantly higher than the Government’s National Living Wage.
- Aldi has launched a five year partnership with the Teenage Cancer Trust – its fundraising target of £5m will go towards helping the trust to reach out to every young person with cancer in the UK.
- Aldi has been named Which? Supermarket of The Year on four separate occasions (2009, 2012, 2013, 2015). It was also named Multiple Retailer of the Year at the FPC Fresh Awards and Supermarket of the Year at the Retail Industry Awards.
- Aldi launched its eCommerce platform in January 2016, selling a range of high quality wines and Specialbuys – receiving approximately over 11,000 orders per week.
- Aldi is the official supermarket partner of Team GB, and has extended this commitment to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Full details of Aldi’s awards and achievements are detailed at https://www.aldi.co.uk/awards