Mark the calendars and get the binoculars at the ready – the Strawberry Moon is coming on 24th June! And supermarket Aldi is celebrating this spectacular lunar event with a selection of surprising strawberry recipes from Elj Eats,The Humble Pescatarian and Sophia Eats a Lot . To truly tantalise the palette and mark the rose-coloured moon, the recipes include unusual pairings such as Strawberry, Goats cheese and Basil Focaccia recipe and Savoury Strawberry Tacos and Strawberry Clotted Cream Rice Pudding Pancakes. Starting from as little as £2 and taking just 10 minutes to whip up.
Once a punnet time, the annual Strawberry Moon was seen as a guide to 16th century farmers to harvest strawberries – and now it’s happening ripe before our berry eyes on June 24th!* With mercury in retrograde and the flower moon lunar eclipse, June is not short of spiritual happenings and Aldi wants to celebrate the humble red berry with delicious recipe pairings, that are a far cry from the typical Wimbledon fare.
While British strawberries are only just hitting the shelves, Aldi has been selling them since February this year, when it became the first supermarket to offer the homegrown berries. Aldi’s delicious Strawberries, which start from just £1 for a punnet, are a fan favourite with Aldi Shoppers for their bursting juiciness and sweetness.
People across the UK and even the world will be able to witness the Strawberry Moon looking impressively vast and pinkish, so why not celebrate this rare lunar moon with a selection of berry unusual recipes?
Strawberry Clotted Cream Rice Pudding Pancakes
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1️. Clotted cream rice pudding from @aldiuk (it’s 300g but use only 6-7 tbsp)
2. 230g self-raising flour
3️. free range organic egg
4️. 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
5️. 260ml oat milk
6️. 2 tbsp melted plant based butter
7. strawberries (diced – for the pancakes) from @aldiuk
8️. 10 strawberries (for roasting) from @aldiuk
9. 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
10. 1 tbsp granulated sugar
Turn your oven to 180° and place your strawberries into an oven proof dish, cover with your balsamic and your granulated sugar and bake on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. Sift your flour with your sugar into a bowl and make a well in the middle, add your melted butter, 2 tbsp of rice pudding, your egg and half of the milk and mix together slowly until your batter is thick and creamy, keep adding in your milk and another 2 tbsp rice pudding, followed by more milk and then a further 2 tbsp rice pudding and the rest of the milk. Stir in your diced strawberries. Your batter should be nice and thick but if too thick then add a little more milk to loosen. Heat a frying pan until hot and pour a little oil into the pan, pour into 2 tbsp of batter and leave for 15 seconds before putting another tbsp on top. Cool for 1 minute per side and serve with maple syrup and your balsamic strawberries
Strawberry, Goats cheese and Basil Focaccia
Ingredients (8 servings of bread):
400g strong white bread flour
100g brown bread flour
7g fast action dry yeast
6tbsp olive oil
3 tsp sea salt
1/2tsp dried basil
50g goats cheese
1/2 a punnet of Aldi strawberries
1. Put your flour in a bowl, placing the yeast in as well and mixing through. Then add 2 tsp of your salt and mix through.
2. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add in 2tbsp of the oil and 400ml luke warm water.
3. Mix well until a sticky dough is formed. Knead for 10 mins until smoother, then place into a clean bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave for an hour. The dough should double in size.
4. Add 1tbsp of olive oil to a tray, coating all the sides. Place your dough in the tray and stretch to fill it. Cover again with a tea towel and leave again for 45 mins.
5. Turn your oven on to 200 degrees. Whilst that’s warming, slice your strawbs lengthways into 4 slices. Break up your goats cheese into 2cm chunks.
6. Press the dough with your fingers to make large dents in it all over. Mix together the rest of the oil, the rest of the salt and 1tbsp of water. Pour this over the dough, then top the dough with the strawberries, cheese and the basil.
7. Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Cool for 1 hour before serving. This goes really well dipped in balsamic vinegar!
Savoury Strawberry Nachos
300g Nacho chips
4 x Strawberries
150g Grated cheddar
2 x Cherry tomatoes
1 x Spring onion
4x tbsp of guacamole
Pinch of cracked black pepper
5 sliced jalapenos
1. Place the nacho chips on any plate! (It’s all about layers)
2. Sprinkle the grated cheese (melt if desired)
3. Chop up your vegetables and put them all in a small bowl with a little oil (not the strawberries)
4. This is where it gets fun, sprinkle the rest of the ingredients and dollop the pre made guacamole over the nacho chips!
5. Finish off with a sprinkle of pepper
6. Enjoy 🍓
For further information, images or to request a sample, please contact the Aldi press team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
020 7479 0910
Please contact the Aldi team at Clarion to confirm product details and availability prior to print.
Aldi halves its Holly Lane Mince Pies to just 55p for a pack of six.
Supermarket Aldi has halved the price of its shopper-favourite Holly Lane Deep Filled Mince Pies (6 pack) from £1.09 to just 55p – that’s only 9p per pie!
From today (Monday 4th December), the delicate shortcrust pasty cases, which are filled with mincemeat and finished with a light sugar dusting, will be half price. But pie-oneers had better be quick to grab this bargain deal as the offer is available for one week only.
What’s more, when shoppers buy a pack of Aldi’s Holly Lane Mince Pies they are in with a chance to get their hands on an abundance of prizes*, which range from a year’s worth of shopping valued at £5,200, to gift cards ranging in value anywhere from £20-£1,000, mince pie lovers will be having a very merry Christmas indeed!
Aldi’s Holly Lane Deep Filled Mince Pies can be found in store and online via Click and Collect now.