JUST ROLL WITH IT! ALDI UNVEILS DELICIOUS 7P ‘OREO SUSHI’ RECIPE AFTER TIKTOK TREND GOES VIRAL
- Influencer Sienna Sweets’ Oreo Sushi recipe went viral on TikTok recently, sparking a sweet sushi revolution
- Discount supermarket Aldi shows dessert loving shoppers how to make ‘Oreo Sushi’ for just 7p per roll
- Popular food influencers share sweet sushi recipes including Blondie Biscoff, Oreo-inspired Cookies & Cream and even Breakfast rolls for shoppers to try at home
Aprons are tied, Makisus are bought and chopsticks are at the ready as Brits have started to roll a little differently! The nation is making alternative sushi recipes, after Oreo Sushi recently went viral on TikTok.
Viewed over 7 million times, the video has sparked a sweet sushi frenzy among dessert lovers, with rollin’ fanatics trying ebi-thing from fruit sushi to chocolate maki.
As Japanese inspired dishes continue to prove more popular than ever, the UK’s cheapest supermarket, Aldi, is here to tantalise tastebuds with a selection of new and innovative sweet sushi recipes from foodie influencers, The Food Baby, Girl Who Brunches and The Foodie Mamma.
Knock socks off and make The Food Baby’s mouth-watering Biscuit Sushi at home for only £1.43 for 20 sushi rolls, which works out at just 7p per roll. The recipe uses Aldi fan favourites including Cookies & Cream (35p per pack), Bourbon Creams (22p per pack) and Custard Creams (29p per pack) and takes just minutes to whip up.
In search of something a little more adventurous? Get the whole family involved and try the Girl Who Brunches’ Blondie Biscoff Sushi Rolls that are the perfect afternoon treat, made from cult favourite Biscoff inspired biscuit spread and tasty chocolate chip cookies.
Or try The Foodie Mamma’s Breakfast Sushi, packed full of fresh fruit and drizzled in Peruvian Dark Chocolate, it is the perfect way to kick start the day.
With recipes soy delicious, why not hop on the trend and have a ball trying them all? All ingredients are in stores now.
BISCUIT SUSHI – £1.43 (makes 20 sushi rolls) – The Food Baby
2 x Cookies & Cream
2 x Bourbon Creams
1 x Custard Creams
- Break the biscuits in half and separate the biscuit from the cream (use a knife to scrape it off).
- Put the biscuits in one bowl and the cream in another.
- Add 2 TBSP milk (your choice) to the cream and mix until it’s thick. Add a little more if needed.
- Add the biscuits to a food processor and blend to fine crumbs.
- Add 4-5 TBSP milk and blend/mix until it forms a doughy consistency (add more milk bit by bit if necessary).
- Roll the biscuit dough into a ball and place on top of cling film.
- Press the dough into a rough rectangular shape.
- Put more clingfilm on top so it fully covers the biscuit dough with room around the edges then use a rolling pin to roll to about 0.5mm thick.
- Cut the edges so that you have a clean rectangle shape.
- Spread your cream on top, covering the whole rectangle shape then, starting from the top, either use the cling film or your hands to roll it downwards. Take care and make sure it’s tight!
- Cut it into even pieces and enjoy!
- (*optional – melt some chocolate to use as a dipping sauce)
BLONDIE BISCOFF SUSHI ROLLS – £8.08 (makes 20 sushi rolls) – Girl Who Brunches
Homemade blondie (250g butter, 150g light brown sugar ,125g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1½ tsp vanilla extract, 300g plain flour)
3 triple chocolate cookies, crushed
1 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- For the homemade blondie, melt the butter with the sugar in a saucepan until the mixture turns a creamy toffee colour.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a large bowl then whisk in the cooled butter/sugar mixture until combined, then add the flour.
- Pour the batter into a lined square tin and bake for 25 minutes. The blondie needs to still be slightly soft gooey in the middle.
- Once the blondie is out of the oven and cool, blitz into sticky crumbs.
- Put the blondie on some cling film in the shape of a rectangle (like the rice in your sushi roll).
- About an inch from the edge, blob a generous stripe of biscuit spread (along the long side of the rectangle).
- Now roll the batter up like a sushi roll / burrito, twisting the ends of the clingfilm to tighten.
- Put in the fridge to slightly solidify so it is easier to cut.
- After 30 mins in the fridge, roll the sausage shaped blondie in the triple chocolate cookie crumbs and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Decorate your rolls with an extra little blob of biscuit spread and (optional) sprinkles.
BREAKFAST SUSHI – £6.84 (makes 20 sushi rolls) – The Foodie Mamma
2 Kiwi fruits
1 large Banana
The Village Bakery wraps
Nutoka Hazelnut Spread
Harvest Morn Crisp Rice
Moser Roth Organic Peruvian 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate
Harvest Morn Granola
- Remove skin and slice kiwi and banana approximately 2cm thick, widthways.
- Lay a wrap on a chopping board or plate.
- Spread a thin layer of Nutoka evenly over the wrap.
- Coat the spread with Crisp Rice for your “sushi rice”!
- Slice the wrap into 2cm strips.
- Taking one strip at a time, place a piece of fruit on its side on and roll up!
- Repeat until you’ve used all the fruit and made enough sushi.
- Arrange the sushi rolls on a plate and serve with a little Harvest Morn Granola and blueberries.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat approximately half of the dark chocolate bar until melted and pour into a dipping bowl.
- Serve your beautiful Breakfast Sushi Rolls with the dark chocolate sauce and enjoy!
 TikTok.com August 2021
 Which?, August 2021